American Teenager Dies After Drinking Excessive Caffeine

Dr Marian O’Reilly, chief nutrition specialist at Safefood.eu, said students need to educate themselves on the caffeine content of popular energy drinks before consuming them.

Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said at a news conference Monday that Davis Cripe drank a large Mountain Dew, a latte from McDonald’s and an energy drink in the two hours before his heart fell out of rhythm at Spring Hill High School near Chapin on April 26. Cripes autopsy showed no undiagnosed heart conditions and that he was healthy with no medical conditions that could have triggered by the caffeine intake.

Davis Allen Cripe, from SC in the U.S., collapsed during class after drinking a cafe latte, a large Diet Mountain Dew and an energy drink within a two-hour period.

It is alleged that the short time period in which the drinks were consumed was a major factor in the 16 year-old’s death.

Gundersen Health System’s Marissa Pruitt says there’s a reason the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend against caffeine until adulthood.

“While adults should be mindful of their caffeine consumption, it’s important for parents to know the risks of children and adolescents consuming caffeine”, Jill Michels of the Palmetto Poison Center said.

“Take the time to talk with your children about the dangers of caffeinated drinks”.

Holding back tears, Mr. Cripe said, “It wasn’t a vehicle crash that took his life”.

Energy drinks can contain up to 240 milligrams of caffeine, according to a 2012 Consumer Reports study.