“I have a sickness, but I do not have an excuse”, Weiner said, apologizing to the 15-year-old girl to whom he sent sexually explicit images and messages last year. Outlets in March reported Abedin and Weiner are attempting to reconcile their marriage.
Federal agents seized Weiner’s laptop during the investigation and discovered a batch of emails from his wife, Huma Abedin, then a senior aide to Hillary Clinton. He agreed to not appeal any sentence between 21 and 27 months in prison.
Former U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, whose penchant for sexting strangers ended his political career and sparked a probe that upended the presidential race, pleaded guilty Friday to a sex charge, tearfully apologizing for communications with a 15-year-old girl that he said destroyed his “life’s dream in public service”.
The judge also told him he would have to register as a sex offender.
The investigation into Weiner came to light after the Daily Mail, a British newspaper, published an interview with the North Carolina teen past year. Phone messages left Friday with the North Carolina girl’s father were not immediately returned.
In a statement, Acting Manhattan U.S. Attorney Joon H. Kim said in part, “Weiner’s conduct was not only reprehensible, but a federal crime, one for which he is now convicted and will be sentenced”.
The cache of emails prompted then FBI director James Comey to make his now infamous decision to reopen the previously closed investigation into Clinton’s alleged mishandling of classified material. Two days before the election, Comey wrote a second letter to Congress stating that no new evidence against Clinton was found, Fox News reported.
Weiner, a Democrat who represented a New York City congressional district, resigned from his House seat in 2011 after he accidentally tweeted an explicit photo of himself that he had meant to send to a supporter.
Earlier this month, Clinton blamed Comey’s investigation into her emails, along with the posting of campaign manager Podesta’s emails on Wikileaks by Russian hackers, for her loss.
Arlo Devlin-Brown, an attorney at Covington & Burling, said Weiner accepted “full responsibility” for his “inappropriate” actions, adding that Weiner would not further address the matter.
An effort to resurrect his career progressed in 2013 as he began his candidacy for mayor of NY.
Weiner continued: “While I have provided the Daily Mail with information showing that I have likely been the subject of a hoax, I have no one to blame but me for putting myself in this position”.