London police plead for calm after attack at mosque

“One man was pronounced dead at the scene”, Metropolitan Police Service said in a statement.

The worshippers detained him until cops arrived on the scene at Seven Sisters Road to arrest him.

– Driver was detained by members of public at the scene before police arrived.

He urged Londoners to “remain calm and vigilant” after the incident, which if confirmed as a terrorist attack would be the fourth in three months in the United Kingdom.

The vehicle was rented from a Welsh company known as Pontyclun Van Hire.

A witness, Abdiqadir Warra, told AFP that the van “drove at people” and that some of the victims were carried for several metres along the road.

A Reuters witness saw at least one person being loaded into an ambulance.

Cllr Steve Mackay, the Mayor of Worcester, said: “I am extremely saddened by the events which have occurred close to the mosque in Finsbury Park“.

While speaking at Downing Street, after chairing a meeting with the government’s Cobra emergency committee in Whitehall, May said: “hatred and evil of this kind will never succeed”.

Police have said the driver was a 48-year-old man who was arrested and taken to a hospital as a precaution.

The London ambulance service said a “number of resources have been sent to the scene in Seven Sisters Road”.

“We have been informed that a van has run over worshipers as they left #FinsburyPark Mosque“, the Muslim Council of Britain tweeted early Monday.

Manchester was also hit on May 22 when a suicide bomber killed 22 people at an Ariana Grande concert.

Police said all the victims of the attack, which took place outside Muslim Welfare House, were Muslim.

Counter-terrorism officials said the driver targeted people who were assisting a man who had collapsed outside the mosque, who later died at the scene, adding that “any causative link between his death and the attack will form part of our investigation”.

A witness, who wanted to be identified as Abdulrahman, said: “I managed to get the driver of the van“.

The Muslim Council of Britain said Monday’s attack was the most violent manifestation of Islamophobia in Britain in recent months and called for extra security at places of worship.

On March 22, a man drove a rented vehicle into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge in London and stabbed a police officer guarding the British parliament to death before being shot dead.

Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn released a statement on Twitter following the incident.

A young man who spoke to Sky News argued that if it had been a Muslim attacking others in the city, it would have been labelled terrorism more quickly, and he called for “equality” in the way both the authorities and media handle such incidents.

Warfa said numerous people in the street were worshipers who’d been attending late-night taraweeh prayers at Finsbury Park Mosque.

British Home Secretary Amber Rudd said police “immediately” treated the incident as a suspected terrorist attack.

The attack comes just two weeks after the terror attack on London Bridge, where jihadis used a hired van to mow people down before stabbing revellers in nearby Borough Market.

Finsbury Park mosque was once infamous as the stamping ground of hook-handed hate preacher Abu Hamza.