The young girl was apparently unaware the cord had frayed, and the electrocution occurred when she touched that portion of the cord while she was still in the bath water.
The last photo sent by the 14-year-old girl who was electrocuted while using her cell phone while in the bath has been released.
“(Coe’s parents) hope this will raise awareness of the dangers that combination of electricity, water and portable electronic devices can pose to people, especially teenagers, who are the heaviest users of these devices”, David Miranda, public information officer for Lovington Police, said in a statement. While the child took precautions to keep the connection of the cords dry, it is believed she was not aware of a significant area of fraying to the extension cord.
A trio of text messages released by Lovington police showed an image sent by Madison of a cellphone charger plugged into an extension cord, which was in turn plugged into a bathroom wall outlet.
Madison has been remembered by her family and friends as a keen basketball fan and tuba player.
“The bathroom is a place for showers and personal time and your phones don’t belong in the bathroom”.
It was originally thought the teen dropped her charging Samsung Edge Plus into the bath, but it’s now been revealed the phone was not immersed in the water. ‘She was just sweet to everybody and everybody loved her’. “And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened”, O’Guinn explained.
‘And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging.
“Whenever I talked to Madison about it, she said, ‘Dad, it’s outside the tub, ‘” Logan Coe, Madison’s father, said.
Her friends and families started a GoFundMe campaign to cover her medical and funeral costs.