The Post’s story cited USA intelligence sources who said they had new information implicating UAE officials in the attacks on the Qatari government’s news sites and social media.
The Qatari foreign ministry said in a statement neighboring countries have shown readiness to participate in the investigation of the alleged hacking of the Qatari state-owned Qatar News Agency (QNA) website, stressing that Qatar will take all means, measures and legal procedures necessary to prosecute perpetrators, Russia’s Sputnik reported.
UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash told the BBC on Monday the Post’s report was “untrue”.
The Washington Post story also comes days after the U.S. secretary of state Rex Tillerson spent four days engaged in shuttle diplomacy between Kuwait, Qatar and Saudi Arabia – all strategic USA partners – seeking to find a way to resolve the crisis.
The Post said officials became aware of the UAE’s role in the hack after newly analyzed information gathered by members of the US intelligence community revealed senior members of UAE’s government discussed the plans and how to implement the attack.
Qatar said its emir had never given the speech, and that the story had been planted electronically, but its allies were outraged, and one of the most serious feuds in years between Western-aligned Gulf states began. The article stated that the officials were still not certain whether the hacks were carried out by contractors or officials. Funding, supporting, and enabling extremists from the Taliban to Hamas and Qadafi.
Last month, Mr Al Otaiba’s emails were hacked and released by a group linked to Qatar called GlobalLeaks.
Qatar says the United Arab Emirates’ alleged hacking of its government websites is a violation of global law.
Gargash also repeated accusations that Qatar was trying to create instability in the region and even accused it of conspiring with jihadists against Saudi Arabia.