Turkey’s main opposition party says the government is blocking a full investigation into last summer’s failed coup attempt.
“We will chop off the heads of those traitors” he told a crowd of hundreds of thousands in Istanbul. A total of 7,563 people – including police – have been dismissed in the latest purge, the Anadolu news agency reported. The government has arrested another 50,000 people.
The government asked parliament to extend it for a fourth time and the proposal was approved by the assembly, where President Tayyip Erdogan’s AK Party has a comfortable majority.
The former Bosporus Bridge in Istanbul has now been renamed “the Martyrs’ Bridge”, in reference to the 250 civilians killed during the coup attempt.
Turkey blames US -based cleric Fethullah Gulen for the botched coup attempt.
He was addressing a ceremony to commemorate the first anniversary of Turkey’s July 15 coup attempt at Shaheen Complex on Saturday.
They attempted to seize control of several key places in Ankara, Istanbul, and elsewhere, but failed to do so after forces loyal to the state defeated them.
President Erdogan claims the coup was led by a cleric, Fethullah Gulen, who has been living in self-imposed exile in the United States for almost two decades.
Following last year’s coup bid, Erdogan embarked on the biggest purge in Turkey’s history, arresting 50,000 people and sacking nearly three times as many. Erdogan accuses Gülen of being behind the coup-a claim that Gülen denies-and accused the United States of harbouring him.