AC Milan hoping to complete a deal for Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has confirmed that his side are in talks with Zlatan Ibrahimovic over a potential extended stay.

However, he is without a club as he recovers from cruciate knee ligament damage sustained during the Europa League quarter-final against Anderlecht in April. Ibrahimovic was soon released by the Red Devils at the end of the season, but United offered a generous gesture by providing him complete access to the club’s training facilities.

The former Sweden striker was United’s top scorer last season, hitting 28 goals as they won the Europa League, the League Cup and the Community Shield.

United have made their position consistently clear throughout summer, that they would consider extending the Swede’s stay at Old Trafford, depending on how well his recovery went.

“The pictures of Manchester United players to me are, you know, wingers and wide men who are attacking, excitement, scoring good goals and Gareth Bale at Tottenham gave me that feeling and I thought when I joined Manchester United, the first player I wanted was Gareth Bale because he looked like a Manchester United player”.

“It’s not something urgent, that we are desperate to have it done or not done”. “He wants more at the highest level”.

“In my initial analysis, coming from January and through the other months, I was thinking about four players”. I understand by doing 75 percent of what I asked, the club did very well. He thinks he can do more. I’m not in a position of crying, of moaning, protesting. If the remaining 25 per cent doesn’t arrive, I will not moan. Victor can play right-back and central midfield.

Lukaku certainly has some big boots to fill this Premier League campaign, with the Swede bagging just over one goal in every two matches in the league.

“We got a central midfielder, we got a striker. But we have players and if we can not strengthen the team in these areas, we have players that we trust”.